Dr. Bob McGraw - Chair, Academic/Research Committee
Faculty in the Department of Emergency Medicine are funded by organizations that include Health Canada, Canadian Population Health Initiative, Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Safe Kids Canada, SMARTRISK, Canadian Agricultural Surveillance Program & the Ministry of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Physicians Services Incorporated, the Ministry of Health (Ontario), the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH: US) and the private sector.
Faculty have expertise in a number of research themes. These range from independent programs managed solely within the department to those involving regional, national and international collaborations. Our department has a long history of supporting research activity and recent faculty appointments continue to reflect our commitment to scholarly activity. We have also, for many years, enjoyed national recognition in terms of medical student and resident research activity. At the present time the departmental major themes of research focus include:
• Injury epidemiology and trauma (including injury surveillance, agricultural injuries and pediatric
• Clinical decision rules (including neurologic emergencies and trauma)
• Toxicology (including acetaminophen, toxic alcohol, calcium channel blocker and organophosphate
• Educational research (including medical simulation, trainee selection and teaching, faculty
development and interdisciplinary education)
• Pre-hospital care systems
• Resuscitation research (including sepsis and therapeutic hypothermia)
• Procedural sedation and analgesia
• Syndromic surveillance
Recent publications can be found here.