Dr. Brison has a strong research commitment within the department. His prime interests are in the fields of Clinical Decision Rules, Injury Epidemiology, Injury Prevention and he has a developing research interest in the management of soft tissue injury. Our department collaborates on multicentre clinical research programs in Emergency Medicine with colleagues in other Canadian centres.
If you can't find him in Kingston, he may have gone fishing.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Stiell IG, Perry JJ, Clement CM, Brison RJ, Rowe BH, Aaron SD, McRae AD, Borgundvaag B, Calder LA, Forster AJ, Brinkhurst J, Wells GA. Clinical validation of a risk scale for serious outcomes among patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease managed in the emergency department . CMAJ 2018 Dec 3;190(48):E1406-E1413
- Bielska IA, Brison R, Brouwer B, Janssen AP, Johnson A, Day AG, Pickett W. Is recovery from ankle sprains negatively impacted by obesity? Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. October 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rehab.2018.08.006 (CIHR)
- Drew D, Baranchuk A, Hopman W, Brison RJ. The Impact of Fever on Corrected QT Interval. J Electrocardiol 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jelectrocard.2017.04.006
- Stiell IG, Clement CM, Rowe BH, Brison RJ, Wyse DG, Birnie D, Dorian P, Lang E, Perry JJ, Borgundvaag B, Eagles D, Redfearn D, Brinkhurst J, Wells GA. Outcomes for Emergency Department Patients With Recent-Onset Atrial Fibrillation and Flutter Treated in Canadian Hospitals. Ann Emerg Med. 2017;69:562-571. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.10.013. (CIHR, HSF)
- Kristman VL, Brison RJ, Bédard M, Reguly P, Chisholm S. Prognostic Markers for Poor Recovery After Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in Older Adults: A Pilot Cohort Study. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 2016, 31 (6): E33-E43
- Brison RJ, Day AG, Pelland L. Pickett W, Johnson AP, Aiken A, Pichora DR, Brouwer B. Effect of early supervised physiotherapy on recovery from acute ankle sprain: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2016;355:i5650 (http://www.bmj.com/content/355/bmj.i5650) (CIHR).
- Stiell IG, Clement CM, Rowe BH, Brison RJ, Wyse DG, Birnie D, Dorian P, Lang E, Perry JJ, Borgundvaag B, Eagles D, Redfearn D, Brinkhurst J, Wells GA. Outcomes for ED Patients with Recent-onset Atrial Fibrillation and Flutter (RAFF) Treated in Canadian Hospitals. Accepted, Annals Emerg Med, October 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.10.013
- Côté P, Wong JJ, Sutton D, Shearer HM, Mior S, Randhawa K, Ameis A, Carroll LJ, Nordin M, Yu H, Lindsay G, Southerst D, Varatharjan S, Jacobs C, Stupar M, Taylor-Vaisey A, van der Velde G, Gross D, Brison R, Paulden M, Ammendolia C, Cassidy JD, Loisel P, Marshall S, Bohay R, Stapleton J, Lacerte M, Krahn M, Salhany R. Management of Neck Pain and Associated Disorders: A Clinical Practice Guideline from the Ontario Protocol for Traffic Injury Management (OPTIMa) Collaboration. Accepted for publication in the European Spine Journal on February 15, 2016 (ESJO-D-15-01275R1).
- Boutis K, Plint A, Stimec J, Miller E, Babyn P, Schuh S, Brison RJ, Lawton, L, Narayanan UG. Radiograph Negative Lateral Ankle Injuries in Children: Occult Growth Plate Fracture or Sprain? JAMA Pediatr. 2016;170(1):e154114. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.4114. (PSI)
- Hagel, L., King, N., Dosman, J.A., Lawson, J., Trask, C., Pickett, W., Brison, R., Day, A., Marlenga, B., Day, L., Koehncke, N., Voaklander, D.C. Profiling the safety environment on Saskatchewan farms. Safety Science. Volume 82, February 2016, pp 103–110 (CIHR)
- Redfearn DP Furqan MA, Enriquez A, Shaw C, Simpson C, Baranchuk A, Michael K, Abdollah H, Brison RJ (senior author). Emergency Department Re-Presentation for Atrial Fibrillation and Atrial Flutter. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. March 2016. Volume 32, Issue 3, Pages 344–348. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2015.08.006)
- Wong JJ, Shearer HM, Mior S, Jacobs C, Côté P, Randhawa K, Yu H, Southerst D, Varatharajan S, Sutton D, van der Velde G, Carroll LJ, Ameis A, Ammendolia C, Brison R, Nordin M, Stupar, M, Taylor-Vaisey A. Are manual therapies, passive physical modalities, or acupuncture effective for the management of patients with whiplash-associated disorders or neck pain and associated disorders? An update of the Bone and Joint Decade Task Force on Neck Pain and its Associated Disorders by the OPTIMa Collaboration. The Spine Journal (2015), http://dx.doi.org/doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2015.08.024
- Ting DK, Brison RJ. Injuries in recreational curling include head injuries and may be prevented by using proper footwear. Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention in Canada. Vol 35, No 2, April 2015. (PHAC)
- Wong JJ, Côté P, Ameis A, Varatharajan S, Varatharajan T, Shearer HM, Brison RJ, Sutton D, Randhawa K, Yu H, Southerst D, Goldgrub R, Mior S, Stupar M, Carroll LJ, Taylor-Vaisey A. Are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs effective for the management of neck pain and associated disorders, whiplash-associated disorders, or non-specific low back pain? A systematic review of systematic reviews by the Ontario Protocol for Traffic Injury Management (OPTIMa) Collaboration. Eur Spine J. 2015 Apr 1. pp 1-28
- Woitzik E, Jacobs C, Wong JJ, Côté P, Shearer HM, Randhawa K, Sutton D, Southerst D, Varatharajan S, Brison R, Yu H, van der Velde G, Stern PJ, Taylor-Vaisey A, Stupar M, Mior S, Carroll LJ. The effectiveness of exercise on recovery and clinical outcomes of soft tissue injuries of the leg, ankle, and foot: A systematic review by the Ontario Protocol for Traffic Injury Management (OPTIMa) Collaboration. Man Ther. 2015 Oct;20(5):633-45. doi: 10.1016/j.math.2015.03.012. Epub 2015 Mar 28.
- Pickett W, King N, Lawson J, Dosman JA, Trask C, Brison RJ, Hagel L, Janssen I. Farmers, mechanized work, and links to obesity. Prev. Med. 2014; 70: 59-63
- Stiell IG, Clement CM, Aaron SD, Rowe BH, Perry JJ, Brison RJ, Calder LA, Lang E, Borgundvaag B, Forster AJ, Wells GA: Clinical Characteristics Associated With Increased Risk Of Adverse Events In Patients Presenting To The Emergency Department With Exacerbation Of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Prospective Cohort Study. CMAJ, 2014. DOI:10.1503/cmaj.130968 (CIHR)